Easy, gluten-free barbecue chicken wings that oven bake in under an hour!
- 2 pounds fresh or thawed chicken wings and drummettes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. arrowroot or corn starch
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (low sugar preferred)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- Chopped green onion or chives for garnishment, if preferred
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the salt, pepper, and arrowroot starch to a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the wings and toss to coat.
- Place the wings onto a broiler pan, or place a cooling rack onto a baking sheet and place the wings on top of the cooling rack. This will allow heat to circulate the wings as they bake.
- Place the wings into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the wings are fully cooked.
- While the wings are cooking, add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes to a saucepan. Whisk to combine and heat over medium-low heat – stirring occasionally.
- When the wings have finished cooking, remove from oven. Using kitchen tongs, individually dip each wing into the sauce and place back onto the cooling rack.
- Once sauced, place the wings back into the oven and turn the oven setting to broil. Broil for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken and bubble. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove wings from the oven, garnish with chopped green onions or chives, if preferred, then serve immediately.
- If the barbecue sauce you choose is high in sugar content, you can omit the brown sugar.
- Air Fryer option – cook the wings for 25 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Then dip in sauce and serve.
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: barbecue chicken wings, chicken wing recipes, gluten-free dinner