This savory creamed spinach is so flavorful, made with fresh spinach that’s enveloped in a rich cream sauce.
- 2 pounds fresh spinach
- 2 tsp. salt – divided
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Bring 3.5 quarts of water to a boil, add 1 tsp. of salt. Add the fresh spinach and boil for two minutes. Drain, let cool, then press out the water and finely chop.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Then add in the minced garlic and onion and cook until fragrant and softened.
- Add in the flour and whisk to form a roux.
- Next, add in the milk and whisk until thickened.
- Add 1 tsp. salt, pepper, nutmeg, and heavy cream, continually whisking, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in the shredded Swiss and Parmesan cheese. Break the cream cheese into small chunks and add to the pan. Continually stir, allowing the cheese to melt.
- Once the cheese has melted, add in the chopped spinach and serve immediately.
- Use frozen spinach in place of fresh, if needed. Thaw, press out any moisture and chop.
- Time-saving tip – make ahead of time and transfer to a slow cooker and keep on warm until ready to serve.
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamed spinach, side dish, Thanksgiving side, holiday dinner menu