This creamy tomato tortellini soup is such a rich and creamy tomato, with sun-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach and cheese tortellini, and a hint of sweet Italian sausage. It’s the perfect soup for a cold winter’s day.
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 12 cups chicken broth (96 oz)
- 7 cups fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 oz sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a skillet, cook the sweet Italian sausage, drain, and set aside.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the tortellini and boil for 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add in the heavy cream, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, cooked sweet Italian sausage, salt, basil, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes. Make sure it does not continue to boil. If needed, reduce heat to low.
- Serve soup and top with freshly grated parmesan, if preferred.
- For a dairy-free creamy tomato tortellini soup option, swap in canned coconut milk for the heavy cream, use sausage tortellini instead of cheese, and omit the parmesan cheese or use a dairy-free alternative.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to five days; do not freeze.
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: creamy tomato tortellini soup, tortellini soup, soup