All of your favorite flavors of a warm cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows combined into a delicious hot cocoa sandwich cookie with marshmallow frosting.
Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the Devil’s Food cake mix, vegetable oil, and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Mix by hand or on medium-low speed until combined and a dough forms.
- Using a spoon or dough scoop, shape the dough into 1-inch balls by rolling the dough between your hands. Next, roll each ball in the powdered sugar, generously covering, and then place the dough ball onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Continue until all dough is cooked and then set aside while you make the frosting.
- In a large stand mixer bowl, beat the egg whites and salt at high speed with the whisk attachment until they become foamy. Next, slowly add in the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form – about 15 minutes.
- After the egg whites are ready, let them sit while you prepare the corn syrup. In a small saucepan, heat the corn syrup on medium-low heat until boiling. As soon as it starts to boil, remove from heat. Turn the mixer back on to high speed and slowly pour in the boiling corn syrup. Add in the vanilla and continue beating until the mixture becomes thick like frosting.
- To assemble the hot cocoa sandwich cookies, spread a thick layer of the marshmallow frosting on the bottom of one cookie. Add another cookie on top, creating a sandwich cookie.
- Serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container and use within 3 days.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sandwich cookies, hot cocoa sandwich cookies, marshmallow frosting