Perfect for the summer patriotic holidays, these lemon blueberry marscapone hand pies are gluten-free and easy to serve at your next outdoor picnic.
- 2 1/2 cup gluten-free one to one baking flour. I use Bob’s Red Mill’s 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour.
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup cold water (plus additional Tbsps as needed)
- 1 egg white (for egg wash on crust)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch or corn starch
- 16 oz marscapone cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into cubes and add to flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until you have coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cold water and mix to combine (add an additional 1-2 tbsp. of cold water as needed until the mixture comes together well)
- Press the dough into a ball or disc, wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, combine the blueberries, cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and arrowroot starch in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine and place into the refrigerator to chill.
- When the dough is ready, lay out one sheet of parchment paper and flour lightly and place the dough onto the floured surface. Then, cover the dough with an additional sheet of parchment paper and roll out into a large 12-14 inch circle. You can also just roll with a floured rolling pin, whichever you prefer. You’ll want the dough to be fairly thin, at least 1/8″ or thinner. Using the cookie cutter, cut out as many stars as you can fit and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue to re-roll your dough and cut out starts until all dough is used up.
- To assemble the hand pies, add 1 1/2 Tbsp. of marscapone cheese to the center of one star. Top with 2 Tbsp. of the berry filling. Gently place another star on top of the filling and seal the edges with your fingers. Then, press the tines of a fork around the entire edge of the star to fully seal the hand pie. Repeat this process for all of the stars.
- Once all of the hand pies are assembled, use a knife to cut 3 small slits into the top crust. Then, in a small bowl, whisk the one egg white and brush over each of the stars. Sprinkle additional sugar over each star, then place in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool before serving.
- Use fresh blueberries or if frozen, thaw before using
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hand pies, gluten-free hand pies, gluten-free desserts, lemon blueberry desserts