Maple bacon spice cupcakes made with moist spice cake then topped with rich maple buttercream and candied bacon.
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 cup unsalted butter – softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Prepare the candied bacon first — Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, then place a cooling rack on top of the lined baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup and brown sugar and heat over low, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Line the bacon across the cooling rack, then brush each slice with the maple brown sugar sauce. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the bacon, brush again with the maple brown sugar sauce and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Adjust oven temperature according to the spice cake mix package directions. Then, mix the spice cake mix according to package directions.
- Line 2 12-count cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Fill each liner with the spice cake batter about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake according to package directions. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the cupcakes are baking, begin making the maple buttercream.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the maple buttercream ingredients; beat on medium until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes using a piping bag and Wilton 2D tip, or simply frost with a butterknife, whichever you prefer.
- Cook the candied bacon in the air fryer, if preferred. See instructions in the FAQ section of the post.
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: maple bacon spice cupcake, maple bacon, cupcakes