Elevate your Thanksgiving menu with this meringue-topped sweet potato casserole.
Sweet Potato Casserole:
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans – chopped
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter – melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 1:1 gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet. Using a fork, prick each potato several times all over. Bake for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until very soft. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooled, scoop out the flesh and add to a mixing bowl. Mix with your stand mixer or hand mixer on low until puréed. Add the butter, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt, mix on low until well combined.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Transfer the sweet potato purée from the mixing bowl to the greased baking dish.
- Prepare the pecan crumble topping. In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pecans. Stir until thoroughly combined. Spread the pecan crumble across the top of the sweet potato purée.
- Place baking dish into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the dish is baking, begin to make the meringue. In a mixing bowl, add the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Using the whisk attachment (if using a stand mixer), begin beating on low speed, for about 30 seconds. Then, begin to increase the speed to high and continue beating until soft peaks begin to form. Next, gradually begin adding the sugar as it continues to beat on high. Continue beating until thick and peaks begin to form. The meringue should be glossy. Set aside until potatoes are ready.
- Once the sweet potato casserole is finished baking, remove from oven. Spoon the meringue over the purée, spreading it evenly. Using a small kitchen torch, brown the edges of the meringue. If you do not have a kitchen torch, you can place the dish under the broiler on the top shelf for about one minute.
- Serve immediately.