This orange cranberry bread pudding is a fun twist to a classic favorite. Sweet and savory orange and cranberry flavors fill this bread pudding, then it’s topped off with a delicious orange sauce.
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter – divided
- 1 1/2 cup sugar – divided
- 4 eggs – divided
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 Tbsp fresh orange juice (no pulp)
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut about 3/4 of the French bread loaf into large cubes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the milk, 3 eggs, vanilla, 2 Tbsp. orange juice, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/2 cup sugar and whisk to combine. Pour mixture over the bread cubes. Mix until the bread is covered, then place the bowl into the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator. Add in the fresh cranberries and stir once again.
- Place six individual ramekin dishes onto a baking sheet. Grease with butter or a non-stick spray (I used coconut oil spray). Spoon the bread mixture into the individual dishes. You’ll want a nice pile of cubes in the dishes (see the pictures). This will allow you to have a crisp top. If there is any remaining liquid in the bowl after removing all the bread, pour over the individual bowls.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. While the bread pudding is baking, make the orange cream sauce. In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter on low heat. Add in 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 1 Tbsp. orange juice and whisk to combine. Add in the orange zest. Slowly cook over low heat, constantly stirring, until the mixture thickens, then remove from heat. Do not allow the sauce to simmer!
- Once the bread pudding has finished baking, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Top with orange cream sauce and serve warm.
- To help cut down on time, you can let the bread soak in the milk mixture overnight. Then, when you’re ready to bake the next day simply proceed with the recipe.
- For gluten-free, use a gluten-free French or brioche bread
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bread pudding, orange cranberry, orange cranberry bread pudding