Celebrate the ones you love this year with dinner and gorgeous red wine poached pears for dessert.
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 4 Bosc pears
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Add the red wine, vanilla, cinnamon sticks, and sugar to a large saucepan or dutch oven. Simmer over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- While the red wine is simmering, carefully peel the skin off of the Bosc pears, leaving the stem in place. Slice off the bottom of the pears so that they will sit flat.
- Add the pears to the wine and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the pears are softened. If the pears are not fully submerged, turn them halfway through the cooking time.
- When soft, carefully remove from the pan and stand upright on a plate to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm, pair with whipped cream, if preferred.
- Adjust the cooking time as needed for the pears. If the pears are not ripe, they may take longer to soften and vice versa.
- 1 bottle of red is sufficient to poach 4 fresh Bosc pears.
- While the recipe calls for adding in fresh cinnamon sticks, feel free to add additional spices if you’d like.
- Serve the red wine poached pears with a fresh batch of cream, like this coconut cream.
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red wine poached pears, wine, dessert, gluten-free