A delicious stuffed acorn squash recipe made with wild rice, pancetta, apples, and herbs. The flavors in this easy dinner are amazing – from the sweet acorn squash to the savory pancetta, with hints of maple and herbs like Thyme and Rosemary, this recipe is perfect for cold weather season.
- 2 large acorn squash
- 8 oz. diced pancetta
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 Tbps. Olive Tree Rosemary Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Thyme – chopped
- Chicken broth (swap for water in rice cooking directions)
- 1 Honeycrisp apple – cored and chopped (leave the skin on)
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the rice according to package directions, except swap out the water and use the chicken broth.
- While the rice is cooking, slice the two acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash halves onto a baking sheet (as pictured above) and brush with 1 Tbsp. of the Rosemary Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper. Using a fork, score the flesh of each acorn squash half and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Next, add the pancetta to a skillet with 1 Tbsp. of Rosemary Olive Oil and begin to cook over medium-high heat. After about 10 minutes, add in the chopped apple, fresh Thyme, and maple syrup. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once the rice is ready, add to the skillet with the apples and pancetta. Stir to combine.
- When the squash has cooked for 20 minutes, remove from oven and then carefully fill each squash half with the rice and pancetta mixture.
- Place back into the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- If you’re unable to purchase the Rosemary Olive Oil – simply swap in regular olive oil and add in 1 Tbsp. dried rosemary with the pancetta portion of the recipe.
- You could stuff any squash varietal – delicata, butternut, spaghetti. Adjust the filling portion of the recipe to the size of the squash being used. For example, you could use only one spaghetti squash, 1-2 butternut squash, depending on the size, and 3-4 delicata squash.
- If you cannot find diced pancetta, you can use 1 pound of ground sweet Italian sausage.
- Nutritional Disclaimer
- Category: main dish, dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash, acorn squash, fall recipes