Gluten free pizza, yes, it’s possible! When I transitioned to the Paleo lifestyle my goal was to take all of my normal favorites and transition them to a Paleo friendly version, this included PIZZA! I have tested out several different gluten free pizza crusts and my favorite is this homemade cassava flour crust using Otto’s Cassava Flour.
Now…before you freak out, NO, dairy is not on Paleo. However, I do, on occasion, allow a tad bit of dairy in the form of shredded cheese on pizza. There are a few vegan cheeses out there that I have my eye on, but for this recipe I used shredded mozzarella, Monterey jack, and cheddar cheese (from organic, hormone free milk).
Now that we’ve addressed the dairy scandal, let’s get on to the pizza! Remember that blackberry chipotle BBQ sauce from a few weeks ago? You bet I just repurposed that onto this pizza. This BBQ sauce gives the pizza some sweet heat that makes it oh so good! One ingredient I failed to include…red onion. I cannot believe I forgot to add on the red onion. Don’t make this mistake, be sure to add it as well as any other extra veggies you’d like. Blackberry chipotle, banana peppers, chicken, cheese, it’s like heaven on pizza crust.
- Pizza Crust Ingredients:
- 1 cup Otto’s cassava flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 5 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- Yeast mix:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pizza toppings:
- 1/4 cup blackberry chipotle BBQ sauce
- 2 cups cooked boneless chicken
- 1 banana pepper (sliced)
- 1/4 red onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Prepare yeast mix by combining the warm water, yeast and honey. Mix to dissolve and set aside for 10 minutes to active (will become foamy)
- Whisk eggs and olive oil together in a small bowl and add to activated yeast
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix to form dough
- Form dough into ball, brush with olive oil and cover with a dish towel. Set aside in a warm environment and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place dough onto floured baking sheet or parchment paper and shape dough with hands. You can shape round or square, whatever you prefer and to the thickness you prefer. (If dough sticks to hands, use additional cassava flour to keep from sticking).
- Add BBQ sauce, chicken, cheese, peppers and onion (and any other toppings of your choice).
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese if fully melted and bubbly.