Chocolate donuts, the perfect companion to a hot cup of coffee! Donuts and coffee go together like cheese and wine, I mean who doesn’t want to relax on Saturday morning with a hot cup of coffee and a warm chocolate donut?!? I bring to you this nut-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free chocolate donut on this Friday, just in time for you to whip a batch up tomorrow morning. Don’t be fooled by the fact that these are free of all those crappy things like wheat and sugar because they are SO. RICH!
I did have to find a donut pan to pull this recipe off, which I easily found at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond. Grabbed one for under $10 and I was ready to whip up a batch of Saturday morning donuts. These were so easy to make, much easier than I thought they would be. I can’t wait to make other donut variations down the road.
And did I mention these are nut-free (no almond flour), grain-free (no wheat/white flour), and refined sugar-free?!? Removing those crappy for you ingredients from your diet does not mean you have to suffer and munch on carrot sticks all day. The chocolate ganache would definitely qualify under DEATH BY CHOCOLATE. Another variation would be to sprinkle coconut sugar and cinnamon on top of these bad boys and skip the ganache. Depends on how you’d rank your ‘I love chocolate!’ scale. Either way these are nom nom delicious. Enjoy~
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax seed
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips (or vegan semi-sweet if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the coconut flour, flax seed, cacao powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in one bowl until well combined.
- Add eggs and mix together.
- Add the melted coconut oil and mix until smooth.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour batter into a donut pan and bake for 20 minutes or until done.
- While the donuts are cooling, melt chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat. When melted, stir in coconut milk. Mix together and remove from heat.
- Drizzle over donuts.
Jennifer is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Wanderlust and Wellness since 2016. She creates easy, approachable gluten-free recipes for the everyday home cook; because cooking gluten-free doesn’t mean food has to be complicated or tasteless.