Paleo bacon waffles, what more could a person ask for?!? Every once in a while I’ll bust out the waffle maker and make waffles for the family. Breakfast is probably my least favorite meal to fix but waffles are pretty easy. Waffles + bacon + pure maple syrup = mind blown! And don’t let the gluten-free aspect fool you, these still came out just as crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside like any other Belgian waffle. (Remember when I told you I didn’t give up flavor when I went gluten/wheat free?)
The key to good waffles is cooking them long enough to brown and crisp the outside while the inside stays soft and fluffy. If you pull them out too early they’ll be rubbery. Some waffle makers will have a timer/light on them that will indicate when they’re done cooking (like in many hotel continental breakfasts) but if not, just keep popping the lid up and checking your waffle. Once the outside is nice and crisp/firm and can easily lift with a fork they’re ready.
- 2 cups Cup4Cup Gluten-free Multipurpose flour
- 2 tbsp. pure cane sugar
- 1 tbsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 bacon slices + additional if preferred
- In a medium sized skillet, cook bacon slices. Once finished, remove from pan and place on paper towel lined plate to cool. Crumble bacon into small pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk lightly.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, including bacon crumbs and stir well to combine.
- Heat your waffle maker and spray or grease with coconut oil.
- Using a 1/2 measuring cup, place batter in center of waffle maker. (Gently push the batter out of the center towards the edges but it doesn’t have to be completely spread out to the edge. Once you close the lid it will work the batter out towards the edges.)
- Close the lid and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until crisp and browned on the outside and lifts easily with a fork.
- Continue cooking waffles until all battered has been used.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and additional slices of bacon, if preferred.