When I said I liked Mexican food, I wasn’t joking. No really, I could eat it all day, every day. This Southwest Frittata hit the Mexican taste buds on the spot! To be honest, I’m not a big breakfast fan. I normally just like to drink my ‘fatty’ coffee (aka Bullet Proof Coffee) and then wait and eat at lunch time. But a few weekends ago I decided I wanted to mix up a frittata and what better way than to make it a Southwest Frittata!
Frittatas are so easy to make, like ridiculously easy. And I especially love when I can cook in my cast iron skillet. In my opinion, the chorizo and guacamole set this frittata apart from its fellow frittatas. I cooked this in a 9 inch cast iron skillet, which kept the frittata pretty thin. You could try a smaller skillet but this worked well for me. I cut the frittata up into pie-like slices and then created a frittata sandwich with guacamole in the middle. De-Lic-Ious!Print
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1 tsp. ghee
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp. Primal Palate taco seasoning (OR 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp. chili powder)
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Guacamole and hot sauce for topping
- Turn broiler on in oven.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs and seasoning and whisk together.
- In a separate skillet, cook the chorizo and drain off any extra grease.
- Place the cast iron skillet on medium high heat and add the ghee and onions.
- After onions begin to brown, add in cherry tomatoes.
- Cook for about 1 minute or until tomatoes have softened.
- Pour egg mixture into the skillet and shuffle skillet until the egg is evenly distributed across the pan.
- Sprinkle the chorizo on top of the egg mixture and let cook until the bottom is set. (approximately 2-3 minutes)
- Place the skillet in the oven, under the broiler, and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes until the frittata is set. Always watch closely when cooking under the broiler.
- Top with guacamole, hot sauce, cilantro, or whatever topping you prefer.
- Cuisine: Mexican