Let’s talk about tuna cakes. Anyone else have childhood memories of eating tuna cakes for dinner, usually with a side of creamed peas, while watching Dan Rather on the evening news?? Just me? Well, back then I hated tuna cakes (do you notice this theme of me despising food as a kid??) So, as an adult I avoided them. Until recently when my husband (who could eat tuna out of a can) forced me to try tuna again. I am a firm believer, though, that it’s all about the quality of the tuna. That’s why for this recipe, and all of my tuna recipes, I only use Wild Planet Albacore Tuna.
Whenever I fix tuna the cat comes running! He knows what’s up! You guys might not believe, but these are literally THE BEST tuna cakes I have ever fixed. Hands down, try these for yourself and let me know. And the Sriracha aioli puts these over the edge in the awesome flavor department. Did I mention these are SO GOOD?!?
- 5 cans Wild Planet Albacore tuna
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp. organic mayo (I use Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 white onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. + 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Sriracha Aioli:
- 1/2 cup organic mayo (I use Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo)
- 2 tbsp. Sriracha sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt to taste
- In a skillet, melt 1 tbsp. ghee and saute onions.
- Drain tuna and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add mayo, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the tuna in mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the two eggs, then add to the tuna mixture.
- Add in onions and breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
- In the same skillet you sautéed the onions, melt the additional 2 tbsp. ghee on medium to medium-high heat.
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop out the tuna mixture and form into patties. Place into skillet and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.
- Continue until all patties are cooked, removing from pan and letting rest on a lined baking sheet.
- While the patties are resting, whisk together all Sriracha ingredients.
- Drizzle aioli over patties and serve.