If you love key lime pie you’re going to dig this twist on that classic dessert. My only complaint with traditional key lime pie is the overload of whipped cream on top. I’m just not a fan of all that cream on top but I do love the zesty flavor of the lime filling. As I was looking to create a healthier, more fresh update to this classic, I decided to try one of my favorite gluten-free hacks when it comes to crust which is dates and gluten-free oats. It firms up nicely and creates a sturdy crust for almost any type of bar.
When I say healthier, I mean just a wee bit healthier because there is still sugar involved with this dessert when it comes to key lime filling on top. I used organic sweetened condensed milk which does contain both dairy and sugar. There is a coconut sweetened condense milk if you need a dairy free option, but I haven’t tried it in this recipe. The filling comes out with the consistency of cheesecake which makes these bars almost like mini-cheesecake bites minus the cream cheese!
As always, because I’m always looking out for a good party pleaser, these bars are the perfect dessert to bring to your next picnic or potluck. I even brought these to a Super Bowl party so you can definitely enjoy these year round!
Gluten-free Key Lime BarsPrint
Gluten-free key lime bars made with only a handful of simple ingredients.
- 15 Medjool dates (pitted)
- 2/3 cup gluten-free oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp key lime zest
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, add the dates, oats, cinnamon and coconut oil. Pulse until combined. Grease an 8X8 glass pan and press the crust into the bottom of the pan. Use a spoon to smooth out evenly.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime zest, and lime juice. Mix on low speed until well-combined. Pour over the crust and
- Cook for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean in the center as it may take longer than 45 minutes to cook through the center. Remove from oven and let cool. Slice into squares, garnish with key lime pieces if preferred, and serve.
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0