St. Patrick’s Day is this week so why not kick off the celebration early with a Paleo friendly Reuben Wrap?! I’ve since passed up the days of taking off work to consume large quantities of green beer but I haven’t given up my sole tribute to St. Pat’s Day with a good ol’ reuben, minus the rye bread and swiss cheese.
It’s funny how our taste buds change. I used to loathe sauerkraut and especially Thousand Island dressing. Bleck! As my taste buds have matured (my alternative to saying I’m older now) I’ve learned to savor up multiple flavors you can add to one bite. Which brings forth the reuben…salty corned beef, pungent sauerkraut with a zesty sauce. Turn these sandwiches into a wrap and you have a mouth-watering, Paleo friendly winner!
I’ve found that you can adjust almost any dressing, sauce, or condiment and make it Paleo friendly. Which brings me to the famed thousand island dressing typically found on reubens. Behold, the Paleo thousand island dressing.
For this recipe you can use a homemade Paleo mayo recipe, or use a good, store-bought version like Sir Kensington’s. Once you’ve mixed up the dressing, store it in a jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. The longer it sets the more chance the ingredients have to meld together into a zesty dressing! A homemade batch will last about two weeks in the refrigerator, longer than that and you’re on your own for that science experiment.
Don’t let these delicious romaine wraps fool you, they are heavenly. You won’t even miss the rye bread! I served these wraps with a side of my Spicy Sweet Potato fries (which are also great to dip into the Paleo thousand island dressing…just sayin’).Print
- 3-4 pound corned beef brisket
- Romaine hearts
- Rub seasoning packet onto corned beef. (Most corned beef will come with its own seasoning packet). Bake the corned beef brisket according to the package directions. Typically it’s one hour per pound. You’ll want to cook it until its fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Slice into thin slices, about 1/2 inch thickness
- Lay out romaine hearts, add two to three slices of corned beef and top with sauerkraut and Paleo approved thousand island dressing