I’ve been on a spaghetti squash kick lately and this buffalo chicken spaghetti squash is exactly what I needed to add to my spaghetti squash arsenal of recipes. Anyone who knows me well, knows I LOVE anything buffalo. It’s pretty much an addiction of mine so changing any buffalo recipe into a healthier version is first on my agenda. Some of you may be familiar with the traditional buffalo chicken dip that uses cream cheese and a ton of ranch? Well, this buffalo chicken spaghetti squash literally tastes almost exactly like that! Except it’s not a dip, it’s an actual meal!
I’ll be the first to admit I kept this recipe pretty plain jane. My intention was to keep the ingredients simple so the kids would be more likely to eat it. But, the kids ended up not being home for dinner so I got to enjoy this all to myself (and the hubs). But seriously, you could add in some dairy-free ranch (or at least organic ranch, not the Hidden Valley stuff), maybe even some celery, carrots, make it your own! This recipe is more of a Primal recipe because it does include some organic cheese because who doesn’t want cheese with their buffalo?? This would be the perfect tailgating side dish!
Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Recipe:Print
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken for mine)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 2 tbsp. melted ghee
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese for the top
- Additional Frank’s Red Hot sauce for drizzling on the top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds.
- Brush 1 tbsp. olive oil on each half, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place face down on baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- While squash is baking, shred rotisserie chicken and add to a large mixing bowl. Add in mozzarella cheese, hot sauce, coconut cream, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Once squash is finished cooking, remove from oven, turn over and scrape out the inside.
- Add spaghetti squash to the chicken mixture and stir until combined.
- Add squash mixture back into the shells and top with shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese.
- Turn oven to broil and place under the broiler for about 3-5 minutes, watching carefully so that it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from oven once cheese is melted and bubbly, drizzle with additional hot sauce and serve.
Jennifer is the recipe developer and food photographer behind Wanderlust and Wellness since 2016. She creates easy, approachable gluten-free recipes for the everyday home cook; because cooking gluten-free doesn’t mean food has to be complicated or tasteless.