Calling all heat loving chicken wing fans – this hot spicy chicken wings recipe is for you! And if heat isn’t your thing, no worries, check out all of our other chicken wing recipes.
We’ve turned up the heat with these hot spicy chicken wings. Plus, they’re gluten-free, too!
Hot Spicy Chicken Wings Recipe
Do you like your wings mild, a little hot, or burn your face off hot? For me, I prefer in the middle between mild and a little hot. I turned up the heat on these hot spicy chicken wings – but don’t worry, they’re not TOO hot. Of course, if they’re not hot enough for you, you can always add in your own extra spicy ingredient or kick up the red pepper flakes a notch.
Hot Spicy Chicken Wings Recipe FAQs
Yes, this particular recipe does include oil frying the wings. If you’re opposed to oil frying, you can definitely use the air fryer and get the same results.
Yes, these wings are gluten-free. There is no breading involved and the wing sauce contains no gluten.
No, you should never fry frozen chicken wings. This will cause a dangerous reaction with the hot oil. I suggest using fresh, not frozen, wings, or allow any frozen wings to completely thaw and then pat any excess water off with a paper towel.
To defrost chicken wings, place them into a resealable bag and then place the bag into a large bowl. Fill the bowl with cold water and let the wings slowly defrost. If you have a microwave with adjustable power levels, you could possibly defrost using a low power setting – however, you’ll want to be careful not to cook the wings during the defrost process.
How to prepare hot spicy chicken wings
Time needed: 40 minutes.
- In a deep frying pan, heat 2 cups of cooking oil over medium-high heat. I recommend using avocado oil. Next, season the wings with salt and pepper – (be sure to first pat them dry from any remaining water). Place the seasoned wings into the oil. Fry the wings for about 10 minutes on one side, then turn and fry for another 10 minutes.
- After the wings have finished cooking, remove from the oil and place onto a paper towel-lined plate to rest.
- Finally, dip the wings individually into the sauce and then place onto a serving platter and serve immediately.
Recommended Kitchen Tools for Chicken Wings Recipes
Wanderlust and Wellness participates in the Amazon affiliate program. Please see my affiliate disclaimer.
Enjoy these other hot spicy recipes!
- Gluten-free Air Fryer Nashville Chicken Bites
- Hot Honey Mustard Wings
- Sheet Pan Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Hot Spicy Chicken Wings RecipePrint
This is hands-down our favorite chicken wings recipe – which is why we’re giving it the title best chicken wings recipe!
If you liked this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating.
- 24 fresh chicken wings/drummettes
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- 2 cup high-temp frying oil (ex. Avocado oil)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups hot sauce (I use Frank’s Hot Sauce)
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the hot sauce, butter, ranch dressing, and red pepper flakes. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the butter is melted. Reduce heat to low.
- In a deep frying pan, add the 2 cups of oil and heat over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees F.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper, then add them to the hot oil.
- Cook for 10 minutes on one side, occasionally moving the wings to keep them from sticking to the bottom. Then flip and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once finished cooking, remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to rest.
- Turn the oven onto the broil setting and prepare a baking sheet. Line a baking sheet with foil then set a cooling rack on top of the lined baking sheet. Or, you can use a broiler pan.
- Using tongs, dip the wings individually into the sauce and place onto the cooling rack. Place the pan into the oven and let the wings sit under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes. Watch closely so they do not burn.
- Remove from the oven, then once again dip each wing individually into the sauce one again, then transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
- Be sure to use fresh or thawed chicken wings – never frozen.
- Adjust the red pepper flakes quantity to increase or decrease heat.
- If you need a dairy-free ranch, check out my Paleo Ranch dressing.
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken wing recipes, hot spicy chicken wings, gluten-free