What’s Thanksgiving dinner without mashed potatoes and a savory bone broth gravy? I used to be deathly afraid of making gravy. My previous experiences ended up in tasteless disasters. Then I faced my fears and tried again and ended up with this savory bone broth gravy. There’s actually two ways you can make this recipe, one using straight bottled bone broth or using the drippings and juices from the turkey. I’ve tried both ways and either way you’ll end up with a nice savory (and stress free) gravy! By using the turkey drippings you’ll also gain the flavors of your turkey spice rub. But, if you’re just cooking something like a turkey breast, using bottled bone broth will give you the collagen benefits of bone broth gravy.
Have you ever noticed that the drippings from your cooked turkey can turn somewhat gelatinous after sitting? This is actually the collagen from the bones and is SUPER good for you! Ever heard of collagen injections for your skin? Well, by consuming bone broth you’re consuming natural collagen which not only helps your skin but also your joints, ligaments, gut, and immune system. Bone broth has been called ‘nature’s multivitamin’ due to its immense health benefits. Here’s an article that covers the health benefits of bone broth for your reading pleasure. So, not only does this gravy taste divine, it’s also good for your body!
Don’t forget, here’s the FULL Wanderlust and Wellness Thanksgiving Meal Plan:
(I’ve made a few adjustments along the way)
- Tuesday, November 1st – Apple Cranberry Spinach Salad
- Wednesday, November 2nd – Maple Mustard Roasted Carrots
- Thursday, November 3rd – Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Friday – November 4th – Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Saturday, November 5th – Mini-Pumpkin Pies with Maple Cinnamon Coconut Cream
- Sunday, November 6th – Thanksgiving Meat and Cheese Board and Gluten-free Dinner Rolls
- Monday, November 7th – Butternut Sausage Stuffing and Sautéed Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Tuesday, November 8th – Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Aioli
- Wednesday, November 9th – Bone Broth Gravy
- Thursday, November 10th – Maple Herb Turkey
- Friday, November 11th – Apple Galette
Bone Broth Gravy RecipePrint
- 4 tbsp. grass fed butter
- 2 tbsp. gluten-free flour
- 1 pint bone broth or turkey drippings (By using the turkey drippings you’ll gain the additional flavors of your turkey spice rub)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, then add in flour and whisk to combine.
- Pour in bone broth or turkey drippings liquid and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally until it thickens.
- Reduce heat to low until ready to serve.