Smashed sweet potatoes with a sweet and creamy maple aioli is what I call a blue ribbon winner! Seriously, these were my favorite part of the meal! I pretty much love sweet potatoes these days. Sweet potato fries, shoestring sweet potatoes, sweet potato hash browns, and these smashed sweet potatoes. My goal with every meal, especially this Thanksgiving meal, is to replace traditional recipes that ae not so healthy with a healthier alternative. With this recipe, I’ve replaced the traditional fried candied yams covered in brown sugar and marshmallows (seriously, who comes up with this stuff) with these roasted smashed sweet potatoes drizzled with a creamy maple aioli sauce. You’ll still get your sweetened sweet potato dish but in a much healthier version.
Sweet potatoes are also an excellent source of Vitamin A, providing over 400% of your daily Vitamin A needs. They are full of fiber and potassium. Sweet potatoes are also a complex carb, which basically means they are made up of fiber and nutrients, they take longer for your body to digest (compared to simple carbs) and the best part….they do not raise your blood sugar like a simple carb would. So there’s no sugar crash when it comes to these carbs. And remember, carbs are NOT the devil, it’s the quality of the carbs and quality of the foods that matter. Complex carbs also provide fuel to your body to be used with energy production. Now, on to the recipe!
Don’t forget, here’s the FULL Wanderlust and Wellness Thanksgiving Meal Plan:
(I’ve made a few adjustments along the way)
- Tuesday, November 1st – Apple Cranberry Spinach Salad
- Wednesday, November 2nd – Maple Mustard Roasted Carrots
- Thursday, November 3rd – Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Friday – November 4th – Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Saturday, November 5th – Mini-Pumpkin Pies with Maple Cinnamon Coconut Cream
- Sunday, November 6th – Thanksgiving Meat and Cheese Board and Gluten-free Dinner Rolls
- Monday, November 7th – Butternut Sausage Stuffing and Sautéed Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Tuesday, November 8th – Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Aioli
- Wednesday, November 9th – Bone Broth Gravy
- Thursday, November 10th – Maple Herb Turkey
- Friday, November 11th – Apple Galette
Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Aioli Recipe:Print
- 4 large sweet potatoes (peeled)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Maple Aioli:
- 1/2 cup organic mayo (I use Primal Kitchen’s avocado oil mayo)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the ends off each sweet potato and discard. Slice the remaining into 3/4 in. slices and place onto a lined/greased baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over all slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use a pastry brush to thoroughly brush oil and spices over all slices.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, combine aioli ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Remove potatoes from oven and using a fork, lightly smash in the center of each disc and transfer to serving platter. Serve maple aioli on the side and drizzle as much as desired.